Music Major Field Test
This page is for music majors to register for the Music Major Field Test.
This test is a graduation requirement for all music concentrations except music education. Music Education students take Praxis (licensure exam) and are therefore exempt from the Major Field Test.
To register for the exam, complete the form below. You will receive a confirmation email when you submit the form.
- The Major Field Test is a standardized test used by colleges and universities to assess their curricular and program outcomes.
- The exam only covers music history and theory/ear-training
- There are about 129 multiple choice questions. Of these questions, about 43 are listening questions.
- It may take up to 2 hours to complete the exam
- This is an online exam
- You may bring your own earbuds for the listening portion. Headphones will also be provided.
- You do not need to bring anything else
- The Major Field Test compares anonymous scores from APSU to scores across the country so that we can assess our program and our curricula, and find areas of needed improvement within the department. In research/assessment terms, it is a measure of external validity.
- The test is a graduation requirement. You will not receive your diploma until/unless you take the exam.
- You are encouraged to do your best but, as of now, there is not a minimum required score.
- You are welcome to study/prepare for the exam. Study materials are available at www.ets.org/mft/about/content/music