University Posting Guidelines
POSTING OF SIGNS, POSTERS, BANNERS, SHEETS,
and/or any other information item
On the Campus of Austin Peay State University
Approval Procedure and Guidelines:
- Placing of informational items of any type on the outside of any University building is prohibited, including windows, pillars, balconies, and walls. Informational items of any type may not be placed to any painted surface. Note: Official University Announcements may be hung on the sides of the buildings. See note below.
- The signs/banners posted must be neat in appearance and painted with water-fast colors. A fee will be assessed for any cleaning/damage repair that needs to be done due to improper material use.
- Posting organization is responsible for proper grammar, correct spelling and accuracy of information. The University Center staff reserves the right to prevent posting if the informational item contains improper grammar, incorrect spelling, questionable content or wrong information.
- Only registered student organizations, university departments, academic units, faculty, staff, and students can post on campus in designated areas.
- Informational items must clearly promote an activity and the sponsoring university organization must be on the poster. If the name, logo, trademark, slogan, or similar identifier of a non-university affiliated entity or product appears on printed material, it must not appear as the dominant message. Content of posters may not be slanderous, libelous, or vulgar. No sexist or discriminatory materials are allowed. No one can advertise or infer the sale of or give away of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products. Informational items cannot contain a "frosty" mug, bottle or can.
- One informational item may be posted in the MUC lobby display case by going to the Information Desk and requesting placement. Table tents must be approved in MUC 207 for placement in the cafeteria, food court and coffeehouse.
- Tacks must be used to attach Informational items to bulletin boards. Tape is not permitted at any time.
- Posting on the pillars of the of the Morgan University Center is not permitted without University Facilities staff approval.
- The use of sandwich boards and free standing directional signs in the University Center lobby and hallways is not permitted without University Facilities staff approval. Main corridors and stairwells must be kept free and clear of any materials that will block, hinder, or slow egress during an emergency.
- Open posting is available in the Post Office located on the first floor of the MUC.
- The MUC website has a listing of approved campus posting locations.
- Some campus buildings may have more restrictions on posting within their buildings, see the building coordinator for more information. The University Center does allow postings on some painted services with the use of poster putty.
- Posting of announcements (signs, banners, etc.) should be limited to 15 corrugated plastic signs on “H” frame, wire stands, or 3 banners per event. Banners shall be attached in such a way that causes no damage to University property. Banners and signs shall be printed/painted with waterproof ink/paint. Sheets, banners, and signs may be displayed outside (i.e. between trees) in designated areas only. Announcements shall not be posted more than 2 weeks prior to the event and must be removed within 1 business day upon conclusion of the event. Individuals and/or organizations failing to remove their material will be charged for removal. A minimum $25 charge will be assessed if university personnel have to clean up. Charges not paid within seventy-two (72) hours following notice of such charges will be forwarded to the University Business Office to become a part of the individual's or group's financial record.
- Chalking is only permitted on concrete or asphalt that is not covered by a shelter and can be washed off by rainfall. Chalking is not allowed on walls, windows, doors, trees, or any vertical surface. Chalk must be washable. Individuals and/or organizations failing to comply will be charged for removal. A minimum $25 charge will be assessed if university personnel have to clean up. Charges not paid within seventy-two (72) hours following notice of such charges will be forwarded to the University Business Office to become a part of the individual's or group's financial record. The University Facilities Office (MUC 207) must give approval before chalking sidewalks. Only water-soluble chalk may be used.
Information Items not approved
- The University Center staff reserves the right to deny posting of information items when guidelines are not followed. Parties desiring to appeal may do so by submitting a written statement to the University Facilities Director.
- Failure to abide by these policies may forfeit rights for future posting.
Other Announcement Options
- The All State Newspaper
Contact - Editor at 221-7376
- Student Web Announcements
Contact – your Student Organization Advisor
- The Voice of Austin Peay - WAPX FM Radio
Please send a facts sheet with who, what, where, and when at least 2 weeks in advance to PSA Box 4627 or Fax to 221-7265. Public service announcements are only for On campus events and must be from a non - profit organization.
Questions, please Contact - Dr. David Von Palko at 221-6364
Outside Posting on Buildings note:
- Banners posted to sides of campus buildings are limited to those promoting Enrollment Management services, delivering administrative messages and/or promoting significant APSU events such as Homecoming.
- Banner size 5 feet tall and 15 feet wide.
- Any office wishing to develop banners for such postings should coordinate with the technical editor in the Office of Public Relations and Marketing (OPRM) for production, placement and storage.
- Banners must be professionally produced, digitally printed and made to withstand the elements (ex: vinyl).
- The OPRM will manage a posting schedule and coordinate with the Physical Plant to post, remove and store banners.
Currently, the technical editor is Michele Tyndall. She can be reached at TyndallM@apsu.edu or 6432.