In the College of Arts & Letters we empower the next generation: Future lawyers and doctors, writers and newscasters, dancers and painters, keepers and recorders of our global history, scholars who will leave their university and their world changed. Home to over thirty major and minor degree programs, we promote the humanities as a means of connecting to the world and understanding our global culture. We acknowledge and embrace tradition as we look forward to cutting-edge technologies and innovative opportunities. Expert faculty facilitate creative learning environments and ask students to consider humanistic questions, solve problems, and take risks as they develop tangible, transferable skills.
Graduates from the College of Arts & Letters have the knowledge, abilities, and attitudes to lead rich, meaningful, productive lives.
The College of Arts & Letters at Austin Peay State University is committed to an active, intentional, and ongoing engagement to foster diversity. Providing diverse voices and viewpoints is essential to achieving our mission and vision of educating informed global citizens. We welcome all people, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, political views, or veteran status and we seek to safeguard the safety, dignity, and well-being of all people. We encourage and accept expressions of diversity in all of its forms.
- We create tangible, transferable skills that launch broadly trained and quick-learning students toward exciting career opportunities in a variety of fields.
- We facilitate participatory learning environments, providing students with direct, hands-on experience through internship opportunities, active learning classrooms, and broader conversations with experts in their fields.
- We prepare students for a lifetime of thoughtful decision-making in a rapidly changing society, teaching critical thinking, creative problem solving, and adaptability.
- We promote an ethic of social responsibility and community engagement that extends beyond the classroom; students have the opportunity to participate in a variety of service-learning courses, community engagement, and volunteer programs.
- We believe the arts and humanities play an essential role in illuminating the breadth of human experience, cultivating empathetic and engaged citizens. Students learn and grow as contributing members of society to become multi-faceted, active participants in contemporary culture.