Distance Education Course Review Process 2021-2022
Thank you for your interest in the 2021-2022 course review process. The application deadline is October 1, 2021. Please review the information on this page and submit the Course Review Application at the bottom if the course qualifies for review.
The Department of Distance Education (DE) is committed to the quality of online and hybrid courses offered at Austin Peay State University (APSU) and aims to achieve the following targets:
- Identify and fund training for online/hybrid Instructors to become certified Quality Matters (QM) peer reviewers.
- Facilitate reviews and continuous improvement of high impact courses to ensure alignment with QM standards.
To work towards these targets, DE is seeking faculty to participate in our course review process. Faculty who complete the course review process will receive compensation and professional development. DE will also select courses to submit to QM for external reviews. These courses will obtain an official QM seal of quality.
Who Can Apply
Full-time and adjunct faculty teaching online or hybrid courses at APSU. All faculty will require approval from department chair.
Course Selection Criteria
To be shortlisted for the course review process, you must submit an online application form to DE with permission from your Department Chair. The course selection criteria checklist is as follows:
- Online or hybrid course with at least 3 credit hours
- Taught at least twice in the past 2 years and no major changes to the course planned in the next 3 years (this includes new textbook adoption)
- Not reviewed by DE or QM in the last 3 years
- High enrollment
- Master or fully developed course that could be given to another instructor to teach if deemed appropriate by the chair
QM Internal Course Review Process for 2021-2022
- July 15, 2021
- Course Review Application opens to all online/hybrid instructors at APSU
- By October 1, 2021
- Course Review Application closes
- 1st Faculty – QM Coordinator meeting
- By December 31, 2021
- February 4, 2022
- Course map due (template will be provided in first meeting)
- February 28, 2022
- 2nd Faculty – QM Coordinator meeting (one-on-one) to review course map feedback and changes
- By April 4, 2022
- Faculty make updates/alterations to course based on QM standards
- Self-review completed indicating course meets QM standards by 85% threshold
- By May 2, 2022
- DE Team completes course reviews and sends suggestions to instructors
- 3rd Faculty – QM Coordinator meeting (one-on-one)
- By May 16, 2022
- Instructors complete suggested revisions and resubmits to DE Team for final review
- By June 1, 2021
- Instructor successfully completes course review
- DE Team completes all final course reviews
- DE Team processes instructor compensation
Faculty–QM Coordinator Meetings
If your course is selected for the review process, you will be contacted by the QM Coordinator throughout the process to assist you. You will be required to attend 3 meetings (in-person or via Zoom) with the QM Coordinator during the process (additional meetings may be requested as needed):
- Faculty-Coordinator Meeting 1 – Initial kickoff meeting (between July-October 2021)
- Faculty-Coordinator Meeting 2 – Midway check-in meeting (between Jan-Feb 2022)
- Faculty-Coordinator Meeting 3 – Final course-review meeting (between April-May 2022)
- There are two compensation routes:
- $500 for completing the APPQMR & the course review process in its entirety.
- $1,000 for completing the APPQMR, PRC, & the course review process in its entirety.
- DE will also cover the cost of QM workshops that the instructor must successfully complete as part of the course review process.
- Completion of all requirements by stated deadlines is mandatory for compensation.
- DE will pay for the external QM review for selected faculty who voluntarily participate.
Faculty Requirements for Compensation
- Complete QM Workshop 1 - APPQMR & QM Workshop 2 - PRC by December 31, 2021
- Attend 3 meetings with QM Coordinator
- Complete course map by February 4, 2022
- Complete self-review by April 4, 2022
- Make updates to course based on DE suggestions by May 16, 2022
- DE will pay for QM Training Workshops only once. If the instructor does not complete or pass, they will have to retake it at their own cost to continue in the course review process.
- DE will not accept applications from instructors who were previously selected and failed/dropped out of the course review process.
- Non-participation after selection will result in cancellation of course review. Faculty-QM Coordinator meetings will be used to determine participation in the process and assist faculty in meeting deadlines.
- DE reserves the right to change the course review process and participating faculty will be notified.
- DE reserves the right to refuse a course review application.
- Compensation will only be given to instructors who complete the review process in its entirety and meet all deadlines.