TRiO Student Support Services
Support for eligible students
What is TRiO Student Support Services?
TRiO SSS is a federally funded TRiO program established to assist low-income, first-generation and/or disabled college students in making a connection with various campus resources.
What is the cost?
All services of TRiO SSS are free to eligible participants.
In order to participate in TRiO Student Support Services, one or more of the following requirements must be met based on the legislative requirements of the U.S. Department of Education:
- Family income meets published federal guidelines (low income, Pell grant eligible)
- Neither parent earned a four-year college degree (first generation)
- Referral by the Office of Disability Services (disabled)
- Additionally, the student must demonstrate an academic need for services and must have the potential to benefit from the services.
Students who qualify are required to sign a contract of participation and complete a needs assessment with an academic counselor. Enrollment is limited to 180 students. Applicants may be placed on a waiting list to ensure maximum participation.
Where do I apply for TRiO Student Support Services?
Application forms are available in Ellington, Room 337 and downloadable at www.apsu.edu/sss.
What academic support activities are provided to participants?
- Academic counseling/coaching
- Peer Coaching
- Pre-advisement and co-advisement
- One-on-one tutoring
- Academic and cultural activities
- Computer lab
- Technology and writing assistance
- Financial literacy
- Assistance with various offices and departments on campus
- Making social connections with other students
- Graduate school enrichment
Participants who need tutoring services must fill out a tutor request form and speak with the tutor coordinator. Tutors are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
The TRiO SSS computer lab is open for use by TRiO SSS participants 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
A limited number of incoming freshmen or transfer students may choose to participate in the TRiO SSS Technology Bridge program, held two weeks prior to classes in August.