Visiting International Scholars
The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program allows academic institutions to sponsor international researchers to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States. Austin Peay State University is one of the approved academic institutions by the U.S. Department of State to serve as the visa sponsor for international visitors to participate in research, teaching, and degree programs. Visiting scholars are also welcome to participate in the Bridge Program activities offered to international students.
J-1 Process for Visiting Scholars
A sponsor at Austin Peay State University such as a postdoctoral/research fellow, or a faculty member needs to fill out the Request to Host International Visiting Scholar Form This form must be approved by the Department Chair, College Dean, and Provost. After approval, the form must be submitted to the APSU Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange. In addition, the following documents need to be attached to the form:
- Letter explaining the purpose of the scholar’s visit
- Visiting Scholar’s CV
- Proposed academic activities while at APSU
If the arrangement requires any financial support from APSU, the sponsor also needs to fill out an Addendum Form.
The Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange will contact the potential visiting scholar. The visiting scholar must fill out the J-1 Visiting Scholar Personal Information Form and submit it to APSU’s Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange along with the following documents:
- A clear copy of his/her passport
- Proof of adequate financial support for all living expenses, including additional financial support for any accompanying family members.
- English Language Proficiency Form
The Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange extends an invitation to the visiting scholar, creates the DS-2019 form, and mails the invitation along with the form to the visiting scholar.
Faculty sponsoring the visiting scholar will be responsible for making housing and airport pick-up/drop-off arrangements.
Arrival of J-1 Visiting Scholar to APSU
- Faculty sponsoring a visiting scholar is the contact person regarding housing and airport pick-up/drop-off arrangements.
- Visiting scholar must maintain health insurance that covers sicknesses and accidents during the period of time when they are in J status. Failure to maintain health insurance coverage may jeopardize a J Visa holder's status. You can find more information about the insurance APSU’s Health Service Department uses at International Scholar Insurance.
- All new J-1 scholars must register with the Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange immediately upon arrival.