Prior Credit Evaluation
Both the law and the regulations require schools to grant appropriate credit for prior training and experience. The current procedure provides for termination of VA education benefits if the school does not furnish an evaluation of prior credit within one (1) term (38 U.S.C. 3675(b)(2) and 3676(c)(4), and §21.4253(d)(3) and 4254(c)(4)).
Prior credit is defined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as "the amount of credit allowed for previous education, training, and experience; including military training and experience". The portion of a student's military experience, AP credit, transfer credit, and so forth; which, when applied to the student's specific degree program, shortens that program.
APSU VA Prior Credit Evaluation Process:
- Student ensures that all previous education, training, and experience documents are received by the University.
- Evaluation of credit is processed by the Office of the Registrar.
- Initial Degree Works and the program of study listed in the student's declared Bulletin will be the student's Prior Credit Evalutation. Any courses with previous earned passing grades that either the Care or Fresh Start has been applied will still count on the Prior Credit Evaluation.
- If the student has any course deficiencies or pre-requisites not listed in the initial Degree Works or the student's declared Bulletin (academic year), then the academic advisor will need to complete the Student Course Requirement Change Form.
Aviation Science Students
- Student makes an appointment with the Aviation Science director.
- The student and the Aviation Science director complete and sign the Prior Credit Evaluation (FAA Certificate statement).
- The Prior Credit Evaluation is submitted to the APSU Veterans Education Benefits Office at the beginning of the student's first term.
Second Degree Students
No electives or general education core requirements will be certified for VA benefits without the Student Course Requirement Change Form completed by the academic advisor.
Undeclared Major Students
General education core are the only courses certifiable for VA benefits. If all general education core requirements are met, the student must declare a major and complete VA paperwork.
The Graduate Program of Study from the initial Degree Works and the student's declared Bulletin will be the student's Prior Credut Evaluation. Any courses with previous earned passing grades that either the Care or Fresh Start has been applied will still count on the Prior Credit Evaluation. Courses that are not listed on the initial Degree Works or Bulletin (academic year) will not be certified and will require the Graduate Coordinator to complete the Student Course Requirement Change Form.
If you are required to complete undergraduate prerequisites, your academic advisor must complete the Student Course Requirement Change Form prior to an enrollment certification being processed for VA benefits.
Change of Program
If a student changes their program of study, then a new Degree Works and the program of study listed in the student's declared Bulletin will be completed for the new program of study.